Friday, December 21, 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!


I start decorating for Christmas as soon as the turkey has cleared the table on Thanksgiving. I do not have lots of parties or tons of visitors, I decorate because I love living in the glow of the season. Every morning I get up super early because I love turning on the color wheel under my silver tree, lighting all of the candles, and watching the morning slowly emerge from behind the silhouette of winter trees outside the windows of my library. If it is cold enough (this winter has been VERY warm in the Dallas area) I will also light a fire. I spend this hour or so before dawn doing my daily devotionals and praying for my family and friends. Even though my routine of early rising is year round, I enjoy this time so much more when it is backlit by Christmas.

Not only do I love to decorate, I love to make new decorations. Being an avid Pinner (see my boards: http://pinterest.com/avidscrapper/) I am often inspired to try my hand at creations I find there. I also encourage my older grandchildren, Presley and Brady, to craft with me. Earlier this month I made a Tulle Wreath and before I placed the decorations on the base, the kids played with this "Tutu."




















You can find the easy instructions to the wreath on my "Door Decor" board. Because I love gingerbread cookies and candy decor, I decided to embellish my wreath with artificial candy.



While I was working on my wreath, the kids made their foam kits from Michael's. Even though these kits can have some challenging parts, they do turn out really cute!


Since the beginning of December every time the kids came over we made something... ornaments, foam houses, homemade presents, or gingerbread cookies.




Kids really do add so much fun to Christmas!  I am so fortunate to have my grandchildren living less than 10 miles from me. I hope that you and yours are enjoying this "Most Wonderful Time of the Year!"


No comments:

Post a Comment